Director of Accounting – Metro Detroit MI Office
The Director of Accounting is a key member of the Blvd Suites team and will support all aspects of Accounting, including preparation of general ledger entries, reconciliations, and analysis. This person will work closely with cross-functional teams to increase performance and grow our business. The position requires attention to detail, positive professional attitude, an ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment, and a strong interest and commitment to excellent customer service.
Specifically, as the Director of Accounting, you will be responsible for all accounting functions associated with the day to day running of the business, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, analyzing reservations for correct profit percentages, communication with clients and guests as it pertains to billing and collections, and other miscellaneous expenses. You will have direct interaction with ownership and the Company’s CPA in regards to month end production and distribution of P&L financial statements. You will be required to take part in all Blvd Suites webinars and teleconferences as they relate to your job function.
As the Director of Accounting, you will be expected to lead, coach, delegate to, and evaluate the members of the Accounting Team in accordance with company culture and values. You will set the tone for the department, contributing a positive, supportive, kind and fun atmosphere. You will stress the importance of clear, timely communication and ensure that the Accounting Team interacts well with all departments.
In addition to these standard accounting functions, the person in this role is expected to exhibit creativity and critical thought when faced with complex financial situations and requests.
The Director of Accounting can expect to focus their work and time in the following areas:
General ledger accounting – 60% of responsibilities
- Record and analyze data related to accounting transactions to ensure current, accurate, and complete financial information.
- Prepare and enter journal entries and record accruals in support of month end close activities.
- Process A/R payment/billing for new reservations and existing in-house guests.
- Process credit card payments for all charges.
- Run D&B checks on new clients.
- Record bank deposits in accounting software.
- Process AP checks and coordinate payments within payment schedules, forecast and coordination with company leadership.
- Run Security Deposit report to ensure refund of any deposits.
- Run A/R reports weekly and maintain over 90-day receivables at zero balance including but not limited to contacting clients/guest via email and telephone in an effort to collect all outstanding monies due Blvd Suites.
- Partner with Company CPA(s) on year-end closing entries.
- Assist in projects when needed as directed by the Company’s Leadership Team.
Monthly financial account management – 5% of responsibilities
- Prepare account reconciliations in accordance with GAAP and company policy, analyze account expense variations.
- Review bank statements; research and reconcile all discrepancies.
- Track and maintain fixed asset activity and schedules.
- Actively research issues and achieve a successful resolution.
Reporting and ad hoc projects/requests – 35% of responsibilities
- Prepare financial statements, balance sheets, profit and loss statements, statements of cash flows, and other financial reports to summarize current company financial position.
- Forecast based on existing financial data and be able to model out alternative solutions and make recommendations.
- Generate and distribute weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports for internal and external customers.
- Clearly, concisely and tactfully explain Accounting decisions to clients via email or call/conference call.
- Update and maintain cash and operating forecasts.
- Maintain and document internal controls processes and procedures.
- Utilize solid decision-making skills with a demonstration of good judgment in selecting appropriate solutions.
- Evaluate process improvement opportunities and implements efficiencies.
Required Skills and Education:
Bachelor’s degree and two years related experience. Intermediate to advanced Excel skills required. Experience in corporate housing or property management preferred. Excellent communication skills. Good planning, time management, and organization skills. Ability to make decisions using sound judgment while complying with policies, procedures and appropriate principles. Ability to develop and maintain professional and effective relationships with internal and external customers.
In accordance with Company Policy, you will be eligible for the following employee benefits:
- 80 hours of paid personal time off per year
- 40 hours of sick time off per year
- Seven paid holidays per year
- Access to employee’s health insurance
- Participation in company 401(k)
- Flexible scheduling opportunities to enhance work/life balance